The First Standard Built at Swindon


(Didcot Railway Centre)


70 years ago, on 23 May 1951, the first British Railways Standard locomotive to be built at Swindon Works, Class 4 4-6-0 No 75000, was put on display at Marylebone station in lined black livery. This was the first of a batch of twenty of the class to be built at Swindon – the photograph shows one of the locomotives under construction in 1951.

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All